Consider this page a colophon of sorts. When you build a blog from the ground up on your own server, the optional pieces to make it work perfectly are not a matter of clicking a box on a hosted blog, such as wordpress.com. You need to go find the pieces, install, and configure them, usually with multiple trial-and-error runs. Here are some of the pieces that make this WordPress blog rock!
Yes, the content management system (CMS) that makes all the content play nice together. Whether it be written at a desktop or a cell phone or sourced from other platforms, WordPress organizes and formats it for nearly every possible visitor opportunity. I have flip-flopped around between WordPress and Movable Type and Blogger, but I always come back to self-hosting my own WordPress. My Sediments Exactly is currently running WordPress 4.5.3.
Theme and Elements
The theme currently in use here at My Sediments Exactly is a child theme based upon Twenty Fifteen.
Unless otherwise credited, the content found on My Sediments Exactly is created by the author of the post. Unless explicitly stated, the locally created content is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
The plugin writers are the true unsung heroes behind the WordPress world. Sure, without the active developer community for WordPress itself, they would not have the framework to build upon, but they expand and extend the basics into something even more special. Special tip of the hat to Davide Benini for the Plugins List plugin to list plugins – now that is a mouthful. 😛 Give him 5 stars if you like it on the official WP Plugins List page.
- 24liveblog by 24liveblog.
- 404page - your smart custom 404 error page by smartware.cc, Peter's Plugins.
- About.me Widget - NO LONGER SUPPORTED by about.me.
- Advanced Custom Fields by Elliot Condon.
- Ad widget by Barry.
- Affiliate by WPMU DEV.
- Akismet by Automattic.
- AP HoneyPot by Artprima.
- AutoBlog by WPMU DEV.
- Bloginfo Shortcode by Jay Fortner.
- Bulk Move by Sudar.
- Cloner by WPMU DEV.
- CoolClock by RavanH.
- Countdown Timer by Andrew Ferguson.
- CoursePress Pro by WPMU DEV.
- Crayon Syntax Highlighter by Aram Kocharyan.
- Custom Background Extended by Justin Tadlock.
- Divi Builder by Elegant Themes.
- Draft List by David Artiss.
- Elegant Themes Updater by Elegant Themes.
- ET Shortcodes by Elegant Themes.
- Font Awesome Icons by Rachel Baker.
- Geo Mashup by Dylan Kuhn.
- Google Analyticator by SumoMe.
- Google Analytics + by WPMU DEV.
- Google XML Sitemaps by Arne Brachhold.
- Gravatar Widget by Automattic Inc..
- HipChat2 by Jim Metzger.
- Intercom by Bob Long.
- Jetpack by WordPress.com by Automattic.
- Last.fm RPS by Taha Paksu.
- Orbisius Child Theme Creator by Svetoslav Marinov (Slavi).
- P3 (Plugin Performance Profiler) by GoDaddy.com.
- Page Links To by Mark Jaquith.
- Plugins List by David Artiss.
- Simple Ads by S H Mohanjith (Incsub), Andrew Billits (Incsub).
- Simple Page Ordering by Jake Goldman, 10up.
- Snapshot by WPMU DEV.
- Theme Authenticity Checker (TAC) by builtBackwards.
- Visual Form Builder by Matthew Muro.
- WordPress Importer by wordpressdotorg.
- WP-Syntax by Steven A. Zahm.
- WP Crontrol by John Blackbourn & Edward Dale.
- WP Defender by WPMU DEV.
- WPMU DEV Dashboard by WPMU DEV.
- WP Remote by Human Made Limited.